Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Reflections - Pranavi

Day 2 Reflection

From the plenary sessions I learnt the importance of water in a growing community. As asia is develops fast, it economy also develops and so there is a need for us to protect our water resources. I also found out how serious Singapore is about water related problems as I found out that the whole island is like a water catchment area.

I learnt about the importance of research and development in Singapore and the amount of importance of asia as a focal point for electronic companies. I also realized the importance of bionanoelectronics, a combination of biology and nanotechnology, and the wonders it can do for example programmable blood.

In this plenary session, I learnt how nanotechnology can change the whole world and help us view the world from a different perspective. As we understand nanotechnology, we also discover more about the wonders in the other topics too such as impurities causing difference in wavelengths and as a result we see different colours in each of the different gems.

I learnt that there are many different ways to make animations and I also learnt that there are traditional methods that are still being used to make the animations. I also learnt that 3D animations are cheaper than 2D animations because of the less demand of animators needed to make the animation.

I learnt that gravitational attraction is playing a part in the rise of the sea level and was also reminded that the sea level will not be the same everywhere and the average sea level rise every year is 1.8mm. I also learnt that the reduction of the attraction of water to the glacier causes the water to rise.

The plenary session that leaves the deepest impression on me is the talk on nanotechnology. What I like about it is how nanotechnology helps in most of the different types of subjects like detecting cancerous tumors when they are small in size.

Day 3 Reflection

I choose this project because it had some aspect of geography in it. At first I was interested in this project because the project was related to the structural design that was needed for earthquake resistant buildings which would have answered some of my question. However, I found out that this project had changed and the recent updated project did not include anything related to earthquakes but, I was able to learn more about structural engineering. There were no assigned roles in our group except for the role of the leader. However, each of our members contributed evenly to the project as there were no roles. The challenges that we encountered when working on this project in the last two days are the network access difficulties and some difficulties in solving the project for example, the limited amount of balsa wood that we were provided. Most of the difficulties that we had to face were overcome due to help provided by the mentors and the project supervisors and the rest were overcome due to the help provided by the teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment